Saturday, July 30, 2005

Question 77 ~ When we were....

What was your favorite thing to do with your family when you were young?

At first I really thought, with my scattered and incomplete memories I wouldn't really be able to come up with much.  Then as I sat here thinking back, lots of things came into my mind. Of coarse that surprised me.  Maybe this journal jar plus having to go over stuff with my family is helping bring back some of those memories I blocked.  I had to block the bad, I think the good just got in the way and ended up hidden too.

I remember a few things we did as a family, which I have to say we didn't often do that much all together.  It was mainly my sister and I playing together.  But we did play games together every so often as a family.  I remember one monopoly game lasting days, we would have to quit for the night and go back and start again the next day.  I don't know who many days I just remember it being the never ending game.  It was fun.  We played cards also.  I didn't know many games and my favorite was war, so my sister mainly got stuck playing that with me. 
                 Preview
I loved when we would go to carnivals (hmm no wonder I ended up working and "playing" there in my adult life lol)  My mother never liked to go on rides but that was okay, after all we needed someone to hold all our crap right? haha 
                Preview

I also liked when we went on picnics, we did that more as we got older but I remember a few fun ones, where my father didn't interfere too much. 

                                       Preview  
My favorite thing of all was when we would all gather in the kitchen and make home made pizzas. Preview My brother had learned how to make them in school (a class I think he took to meet girls lol)  but it became sort of tradition.  It was so much fun all laughing and having fun and then of coarse eating great pizza. I now do that with my own children, and it's so much fun.  We used to do it every Halloween, but then it was rushed so we did it on Christmas Eve... normally it was just me and the kids on that night (big family thing was Christmas Day) But eventually that changed and we now do it whenever the mood hits us.  It's a wonderful bonding experience then and now.  There wasn't much laughing when I was young.  Partly because of my behavior but mostly because of my bio-father.  So thinking back to this laughter makes me smile.  I think I'll try and dig deeper to the good times.

** You know the drill... you can answer in the comment sections, or your own journal.  If you are answering in your own journal please link your entry below so everyone can  enjoy your writing! If you're new to the journal jar please let us know that also! **

Tomorrow will be the journal jar spotlight and I will link the new members at that time also. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

dang , just dont have answers to your questions lattley . wasnt much famlie time, but I wanted to wish you well and good luck on the surgery it has to be scary there always scarey . but take care your in my prayers and thoughts .  

Anonymous said...

Hi~

I just started a Journal Jar. This is an awesome idea! Right now, I feel like I'm playing catch up. Feel free to stop by and say hi.

~Susan
http://journals.aol.com/sbrlzc/MyJournalJar/

Anonymous said...

Promise, here is mine...  Thanks
http://journals.aol.com/missboogerhead/MissOsSoapbox/entries/709
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

Hide From My Big Brother......................

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/cherrywish100/BJJ/entries/614

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/auntyeeyee622/DirtyLaundry/         I'm a Newbie!!

Anonymous said...

MY FAVORITE THING TO DO WITH MY FAMILY WAS TO HANG OUT WITH EVERYONE AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME.  WE WOULD THROW A BIG PARTY AND SIT AND VISIT WITH BOTH SIDES OF THE FAMILY.  GOT TO SEE COUSINS, AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS...

Anonymous said...

My most favorite memories are about Christmas time!  Not just Christmas Day but the days leading up to it.  I remember shopping at John Wanamakers in Center City and the lights and the smells of food - it was just great!

There were also a lot of pictures of us as a family in the park.  I don't remember too much of it because I was so young but the pictures bring back memories.  We did so much in the park!  My father used to love to watch the baseball games, we used to walk the dog there, there was a playground and we even rode our bikes there!

Thanks for asking the question - it brought back some wonderful memories!


Rose
http://journals.aol.com/roseb44170/RoseJournal

Anonymous said...

Better late than never!
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/Courage/entries/760
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing to do was go geoducking. If you don't know what that is it's basically digging for giant clams. You walk way out into the mudflats at low tide and if you see a geoduck's (giant clam's) neck sticking out you dig a deep hole around it and try to pull it out. We used to go geoducking every summer and I had great fun poking around the mudflats. I found crabs and sea urchins and all sorts of little creatures.

Anonymous said...

Telling stories!
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/LorisJournalJar/entries/430
Lori