Thursday, May 5, 2005

Question 45

Tell about a funeral you attended that you will never forget?

My first word here is AHHH (okay not a real word).  Why this kind of a question I do not know.  There have been some beautiful funerals I have attended of some close family and friends I could write about.  But I have decided I've been too depressed to go that way today.  So I'm going to write about a different one.  A woman I knew in a support group I attended called me one day crying... her father had passed away, and she needed someone to come with her to the funeral.  She wasn't that close to the rest of her family but she was daddy's girl, and needed to have someone there from the group, and said I was the one that she was closest with.  Now I've never been good at funerals.  Even if I don't know the person I break down.  I called our group leader and she said "it's good for you to support her, you need to go."  So at the time I always did as I was told (working on my codependency of coarse) I went.  In the middle of the funeral, they started to pass the microphone around to people so they could say what this man had meant to them.  I didn't think anything of it. I was thinking "My God this was one wonderful man, as I listened to everything he had done for other, how he changed so many people's lives, how many people loved him"  Then I started thinking as I always do "what if they are all just lying because they don't want to say anything bad"  .. my mind started to wonder farther.. "what would people say at my funeral?"  All of a sudden the mic is in my hands.  OMG it's in my hands and my mind was on my own funeral not to mention I've never even met this man.  I looked around and everyone was looking at me, I turned and looked at his daughter who was sitting up front with the rest of her family  (I was a few rows behind her) So I started to speak.  Saying "John was such a great man, He raised such find children..... I coughed.... I can hardly believe he is gone" Now the rest is such a blur. I started to think to myself "you should just start singing" then I started to laughing.. Laughing right there at the funeral...OMG I couldn't handle this. I don't know everything I said. I said things I would want people to say about me if it were my funeral. I was talking like I had known him.  It was awful. I kept thinking why didn't you just say, "I didn't get to meet John, but I know his daughter and I'm sorry for your loss" and pass the mic! Afterwards, People would come up to me and say "how'd you know him?"  I just acted like I was really upset. Then, finally my friend came up and said "lets get out of here" we left.  She laughed about it, I was still in shock!  Now it's funny and I can laugh about it.  It was like some bad dream.

** You know the drill... you can answer in the comment sections, or your own journal.  If you are answering in your own journal please link your entry below so everyone can  enjoy your writing! **

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok I'm a little behind ....lots on my mind  but I had to do this one ......Diane

Anonymous said...

My brother manuel's...everyone viewed the body was jumping all around makin my mom upset my mom passed out and i was standing and starin not thinkin anything everyone wanted to shake our hands and i just wanted to leave i wanted everyone out i wanted it to be private i was gettin sick of everyone crowding my space. then at home more people was there they only came for the food cuz they didnt feel like makin dinner everyone who was in my way i bumped i didnt care i told people to get out and everything half the people there manuel couldnt stand. then they stood around talkin about everyone elses biz and everything i was sick. i went upstairs and stayed in my room only person was allowed to come in was my cousin jake and trina and few other besides that i stayed and stared in space..nothings ever beautiful about a funeral ..death day.

Anonymous said...

Promise, I can't read this entry.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

This was a difficult one to write, mainly because I got some tears remembering it.  :(  ~Colleen

Anonymous said...

what a great story promise!! i hope at my funeral there is lots more laughing than tears- okay- i want a few tears LOL!! my grandma's funeral back in 1999- she had leukemia in the end- and the doctors told us that the love of her family kept her alive for another year- she wanted to see my youngest sister- her youngest grandchild get married- which she did and she wanted to see my youngest born- which she did. this is the lady who on her deathbed said - full of pain- how much she enjoyed life- "i loved every minute of it- all of it." her funeral was a true celebration of her life- i admired her so much- she divorced her first husband, then married his brother- then buried him- he died in his 40's then married his best friend, owned her own business, was a talented artist, great cook, traveled the world, wrote a book- just an incredibly strong woman. my mom didnt shed a  tear- she sat in the front of the church smiling with pride as the minister shared some of her stories. you know, when life is kicking me in the ass, i need to listen for her voice- i havent done that in awhile- i get caught up in the problems.  the strongest trees have the deepest roots. thank you grandma- for all that you were- and for living in my heart today- until we meet again!!!! love your amy-girl

Anonymous said...

The day my best friend had to bury her youngest brother, 21 years old.  He was drinking and driving, and you know how the rest goes.

She wrote a letter to him, and read it out loud. Because of medications to keep her calm, she didn't cry a tear.  Instead, she laughed and made everyone else laugh.  She doesn't remember that day very well, but I do.

Anonymous said...

well Ive been 2 3 funalrels,like wedding i only go if I am close to the person.
My grandma died of cancer as you know and it was not to pleasant like always my famlie was constentally bickering and turned it in to an argument about evrything and then it was open season on her belonings and my grampa talking about looking for a new wife.....enough to make me sick also when I disoned that side of the famlie ( do you blame me)
next my grampa. scence he was a minisiter he had filled the church and it went down the side walk I was stuck in the back of the large church,.It was still nice that he was so cared about .
My bestfriend there were 10 people ,but it was the best one because evryone was a true friend and or famlie meber it was real.
she may of had not to many people there but there wasnt any secound guessing the people who attended and we had hers in her favroit restraunt .....

Anonymous said...

Interesting question...my thoughts...

Anonymous said...

heres mine
http://journals.aol.com/pittsk615/PhoenixSymphony/entries/919
                take care,
                           Kristina

Anonymous said...

If you can't take a sad story don't read this one... BYE GUYS!
Before anybody ask YES, its all true.
http://journals.aol.com/nbladylions/AshleyMooney/entries/489

Anonymous said...

Put the last two up in my journal....

Anonymous said...

We all react in diff. ways. Its human nature. God bless, Beckie
http://journals.aol.com/beckieramos/BeckiesBrightBeginnings

Anonymous said...

Okay this one is really difficult and I will have to come back to it in my own journal as it was my dad's when I was 8.  There was a huge rift that would take an entire entry or two for me to tell about it and I will in my journal soon, maybe not today or tomorrow but when I feel I can talk about it, I will.  There was a lot of turmoil surrounding my dad and unfortunately it trickled down onto me. His "viewing" was one that I can never forget and one that I still haven't moved forward on either.  So I promise in time I will write all about and refer back to this question.

Anonymous said...

This really is personal.  I remember most of them and those of my grandparents are too painful to want to talk about in a public place.  Let's just say that the best funeral I've ever been to was that of my grand-aunt last year (2004).  It was a Pentacostal funeral and the family created a display of different pictures of my aunt.  Some were when she was young and included her first and only husband who died before I met him.  The minister had an acoustic guitar and they sang southern gospel songs then he gave a sermon, talked a little about her.  All I can say is that it was a celebration that she was going to be with God, not about her leaving us here on earth like most funerals are.  Truly a "homegoing".  Sheila

Anonymous said...

I`ve been to many funerals in my time.....never fun....but my cousim Darrel was killed in a car crash when I was 8.....my aunt passed out...I remember thinking of him as older cuz I was just a little kid...by in reality he was only 19......I also attended the funeral of a classmate 3 days before christmas....she and her brother were killed on the way home from college she was 19 he was 21 it was a double funeral.....I remember being bowled over by the remarkable strength of their mom...she lost 2 kids and was consoling all of us

Anonymous said...

Here's my answer:http://journals.aol.com/springsnymph/MyAnswerJartotheJournalJarsQuest/entries/384

Anonymous said...

i dont like furnaels      they make me sad. my fireand died when she was 18 of cancer.  and that was hard on me. so it no joke   i respet people.i work in anurse home.i seeppeople die all the time    it is sad .

Anonymous said...

If you do not deal well with sad stories, do not read this entry. This is about the deaths of two of my friends, within a month of each other while I was in high school, and then the death of my brother-in-law, a suicide. I am warning all of you, if you read this one, have tissues ready. It was something that I had to write about though, because it was very theraputic for me. Thanks.
~Stephanie~
http://journals.aol.com/unicornsteph80/Welcometomylife/entries/363

Anonymous said...

thank you for letting me share about my Father whom I lost in March 2004.  He was a good man that didn't deserve to suffer and die so early.   I highly recommended not holding onto resentments and making peace with the people important to you,  I was able to attend his funeral and....

http://journals.aol.com/beachmelissa3/ABEACHGIRLSDREAMS/

Anonymous said...

My father's funeral in 2002.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/LorisJournalJar/entries/384