Saturday, April 16, 2005

Question 36 ~ school

Did you have a favorite subject in school?  One you dreaded?

   I didn't like school much, I guess I felt I had better things to do at the time.  My mother told me "you're going to regret this." When I enter college I had to admit she was right, even though I hate admitting she is ever right :).

My favorite class was my creative writing English class in 10th grade.  I enjoyed that class, even looked forward to going to it, I never once skipped it and I actually got A's in that class... which was so new for me!  I was expressing myself and getting good grades for it.  That was when I became passionate about writing.  I had always written poems, but never thought they were anything but scribbles.  Here in that class they meant something, and my teacher thought they were good.  I began to realize putting my feelings down in poems was worthwhile, although it was hard for me to share them, it opened me up.  My writing was worthwhile, and that made me believe so was I.
The subject I dreaded was History.  Now I'm not completely sure it was the subject or the teacher... either way it turned me off to history completely.  The teacher did not care for me at all, had told me I wouldn't amount to anything.  We clashed constantly.  It made even trying harder, and of coarse I felt, not worth my time.  I remember one time, we were to write these final book reports that would count as 40% of our grade.  I was failing I had to do something!!  We were to get a book on someone we felt was important to history and bring it to class and he would approve it.  I got a book on Rosa Parks. I had it approved and went to work.  I worked my butt off.  I gave up every weekend, all the parties, dates etc.  I need to get my grade up and here was my chance.  I did a great job on it, if I do say so myself.  I even illustrated it.  When we got them back he just sort of flopped it on my desk, it had a BIG F covering the front page.  I flipped it open and he hadn't written a thing in there... he hadn't even read it.  I said "what the hell?!"  He said "you never had your book approved by me!"  I have to say probably because I actually worked on this I was madder then ever.  I said "you Fing liar!!"  Of coarse I was sent to the office, I held out the report to him and said "read it!"  he took that pointer thing he always used and slapped it out of my hand.. hitting my hand.  That was the day I gave up on History class, that was the day my teacher got punched (not by me by the boy behind me when he hit me).  I could rewrite the report and TRY to bring my grade up, but since it would be "late" it would be knocked down a grade... or I'd have to repeat the class.  I quit school shortly after that.  (I did go back to a different school) but that was a life changing moment. 

** You know the drill... you can answer in the comment sections, or your own journal.  If you are answering in your own journal please link your entry below so everyone can  enjoy your writing! **



To Monica aka Monkleeozz at Losing my mind
and Cherry aka Cherry2sweet2eat at Just Getting It off My Chest!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked sewing, liked journalism and my writing classes.  I also enjoyed Pop Literature and choir.  Classes I dreaded?  History.  Too much time spent on WW2 and not enough on the other happenings.  I also hated having to do research papers because most of the time, the books I needed were already taken out by other students also working on the same research papers.  I also hated algebra.  Although I was in honors math courses, for whatever reason I couldn't understand the concepts and why we were always trying to find x and y.  LOL!  Then they'd throw in "find AB" and I was really messed up!  I did do much better in geometry though.  Sheila

Anonymous said...

PS - for as much as I hated history in school, I love watching "The History Channel" on t.v.  Go figure!  Sheila

Anonymous said...

Yeah my favorite subject was always the last class cuz i knew i would be getting home soon lmao and lunch roxborough has the best freebies. Math is what i dread i hate it i get nervous soon i step in there like plz dont call on me plz dont call on me.

Anonymous said...

THAT TEACHER WAS A JERK. I HATED SCHOOL FROM THE FIRST DAY UNTIL THE LAST IT WAS JUST SOMETHING I NEVER COULD GET INTO. I TOOK COSMOTOLOGY THE LAST 3 YEARS OF SCHOOL BUT NEVER DID ANYTHING WITH IT. I QUIT SCHOOL AT THE END OF MY 11TH YEAR BECASUE I WAS PREGNANT. YEAH OUT OF HELL. I LATER GOT MY GED AND WENT TO BUSINESS SCHOOL BUT HATED THAT TO. I'M A FREE BIRD I LOVE THE SCHOOL OF LIFE AND HARD KNOCKS MAN I PASSED THAT WITH FLYING COLORS. COME ON OVER FOR A SPRING VISIT

Anonymous said...

Loved geometry! It was so logical. Hated typing -- only took it because I knew it would help when doing term papers. The teacher made us do timed tests and I never made it out of the middle of the pack. And back when I was in high school, not many boys took typing! Most of class was girls who wanted to become secretaries as soon as they graduated from high school.

Anonymous said...

OMG !!! talk about opposites ....you sure were not sisters .............Diane

Anonymous said...

Here ya' go...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I loved Creative Writing also! Here is my response: http://journals.aol.com/beckieramos/BeckiesBrightBeginnings

Anonymous said...

That is so weird, because English was my favorite class. I took 4 years of it in high school. My senior year was writing and literature.
I loved it. Especially writing. It seemed so strange to get praised and rewarded for expressing my opinions and feelings.
Because at home it was "Shut up and listen"........

Anonymous said...

i dont think i have a great school to talk about.
I do rember my middle school because of two great people my band teacher and my vice princaple.
I played the trumpet ,well my mom loved her boose and her dope so she bought me this five doller corenet.
(which is just like a trumpet but smaller)
It was nasty full of rust and dents it looked like it got ran over by a bus the kids were always mean to me anyways this just gave them one more thing to tease me about.But it didnt stop me .
it really didnt play in tune much but it wasnt bad I stayed last chair though.
my band teacher would let me use his sons silver trumpet on concerts it was so buetifull.
He made a big difrence in my life.
my vice principle helped me get away from my mother ,she had seen the bruses i came into school with on a reagular basis.
the first time i ran away was after my mom hit me in the face and i had had enough i was sick of it .
I ran away to school of all places lol
she called the school to see if i was there the princple said i was.
the vice principle called me to the office about 20 min. before school let out and told me to leave quike before my mother got there .
and so i did.
high school was awfull no matter how i tried it didnt make a diffrent i was taged as a nobody.in electronics me and anouther friend were tormented for being girls.our first progect was to build a lamp and make it turn on  me and my friend were the first done.
ours workd the boys didnt .
so the teacher got mad and said real snooty come on boys you let these girls get it working and you cant ..(he was bieng relly shovinistic .We both walked out .

Anonymous said...

    My favorite subject in school was history. It still is. When I got into high school, the last two years, we were able to take one semester classes on various English subjects, like litature, writing, speaking, drama, etc. I took 8 classes in two years. I loved them. I have ADD. I hated any kind of math class, or grammar. I couldn't concentrate. I find that I have a decent math aptitude, but as it got more complicated, ie algebra or geometry, I got bored and couldn't stay with it. And I dreaded gym. I'm not the physically coordinated kind.

Anonymous said...

science has always been my favorite subject-i love to know how things work and fit together. i also love literature- trying to pick up the hidden meanings and symbols- there's always more to any story than the words on the page. overall i loved school- not the b.s. social stuff of high school, but the learning and growing. my most dreaded subject- advanced math- i made it thru to calculus in high school, but hated it. stats in college was very interesting but nearly killed me. i took organic chemistry 3 times before i finally finished my bachelors degree- the third instructor finally took the time to make sure i understood it- then it became much easier. i have been thinking lately about going back to school for my masters- maybe a nurse practitioner??!!! maybe when my kids get a little older. i actually miss school after all these years- and no i didnt wear a pocket protector- LOL!!!!!! even if i dont go back for a degree, it still is fun to take a class about one of your interests and learn more about it.

Anonymous said...

I have been out of school for decades now - a really scary amount of years.  I didn't care too much for school itself, but I always loved learning what I wanted to learn.  I still do that to this day.  My degree is in English Secondary Education as books and writing are a huge part of my life.  But I don't teach. :-)  I disliked high school environs so much that I headed to college at 16.  About the only subject I dreaded was geometry.  I found memorizing theorems (sp?) to be boring.  You can bet your sweet hypotenuse on that!
http://journals.aol.com/upseted/JackiesQuirkyMusings/

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had a Pr*&k for a histroy teacher!!! Ackk :(
-Michele
My answers are posted at the site below.
http://www.blogigo.co.uk/MattelMichele/entry/33926

Anonymous said...

Put the answer in my journal... :)

Anonymous said...

Science, by far.  Math I dreaded...I still have nightmares about Algebra.

Anonymous said...

I liked all of my classes except phys. ed. and math. I still hate math! I was in all the advanced classes in H.S. except math -- I was in the class with all the stupid jocks. My two fave classes were criminology and american govt. in 12th grade. I had the same teacher for both, and she was really cool. I have always been very liberal politically and she always let me speak my mind in class, which was hard because my classmates were mostly conservative know-it-alls.

Anonymous said...

I've always loved English and I like History...I dread math and science.
Elisa

Anonymous said...

Chemestry and Microbiology

Anonymous said...

Yes of course I did.  I LOVED English, why?  To me English is the class geared for those of us that have been blessed with the gift b.s. because it is not a "formula" type class it is more of a b.s. type class.  Now Math, I hated, still do, suck at it.  Luckily I have learned enough to live productively, ha.  I can balance a checkbook, convert receipes, etc.  Like I said I learned all I needed to know, the rest of the time I napped, lol.

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/unicornsteph80/Welcometomylife/entries/355

I loved school, and especially science! Anyway, my answer is in my link.
~Stephanie~

Anonymous said...

Damn - that was a long time ago!...

Anonymous said...

English.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/LorisJournalJar/entries/372

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/danielled1/DaniellesJournalJar/entries/661

~Danielle

Anonymous said...

here's mine
http://journals.aol.com/neemom1977/MyJournalJar/entries/1329

Annie =)

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/devilletteinme/the-devilettes-journal-jar/entries/2006/11/23/mr.-fink/562