Thursday, February 17, 2005

Question 5 - scouts anyone?

Did you belong to girl/boy scouts?  Tell something about that?

Yes, I was in this club called the "bluebirds" where eventually you become a camp fire girl.  We did a lot of stuff, camping, crafts, plays (we went to some and put on some) and of coarse our annual candy sale.

When I had my "blue bird fly up" That is a program at the end of blue birds where we enter into the campfire girls.  We each had to go on stage and read a speech.  We were told to pair up and help each other learn the lines.  Well, I was so nervous, my whole family was out there, and there was a part in my lines I just couldn't say, I couldn't say the word specific we practice and practice the word specific. (I still can't say that word).  There I am up on the stage struggling when I got to the word specific.  I got so embarrassed and frustrated that somehow I began to recite the girls speech I had worked with saying something about Rumpelstilskin 
... I ended up saying the first part of mine and the end of hers.  She had just went before me so they had already heard her.  No one really noticed or at least they didn't laugh.  Although my brother K asked why they would have two of us say the same things?  I eventually lost interest in the campfire girls.  We had a lot of fun, but we always had to do stuff I just wasn't thrilled with.  I think I had grown out of it. But it was fun while it lasted and I have  lots of fun memories from it!

                       Preview

We have new participants!! Welcome!

Lahoma
who I've read very often, her journal is about her life.. sometimes her days seem like mine. I also enjoy and snag her graphics.  She hooked me up with Johnny Depp (okay it was a graphic!)
Rachel
  Is another real life journal writer. Sometimes I just want to hug her!! But I know she's strong!
Life as I live it
who I only know by her screen name (Demandn)  Another life journal but she has some very pretty pictures and wonderful poems there. She has a lot of insight I enjoy discovering.
Vickey
She is probably the smartest "young" person I know.  I read her often, about her life, she's funny yet there are things she goes through that I'm always surprised she can handle so well.  She's got a good head on her shoulders
Nikki  I don't know her yet, as I have just now been to here journal, but I can't wait to get to know this new journal!
MUSINGS Is a new journaler here at jland.  He's jumped right in to the journal jar!  I've had the pleasure of a few conversations with him.

Here are a few that just started putting these answers into new journals they made for this purpose!
Penny2 ~ 
Question Carafe

Glopsey aka Glopsblink ~  Glopsey's Journal Jar


If I've missed anyone sorry, but those dang alerts!


**If you wish to participate, you can put your answers in the comment section.  Or in your journal, but put a link to your entry in the comment section so we can all read it!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrr, wrote my comment and lost it!  
YES!  I was in Campfire Girls for about a year in second grade.  I just barely remember it but I wasn't in it long because there were two girls who made my life hell, but fortunately, neither was the daughter of the leader.  She was great.  Mrs. Kuntzman.  I remember the candy sales.  They had the best peanut brittle.  I also remember these blue felt vests we had for our patches and beads - certain beads meant you accomplished certain tasks.  I only had one for participation.  My memories are mostly fuzzy, but one definite thing I remember to this very day is macrame!  I even tried to teach my niece a few years ago.  If I'm ever present for one of her "sleepover parties" I might have to take supplies and make it a group activity.  I have 4 fuzzy memories of our camping trip that year - 1) we got lost, 2) using Dixie Cups with fine pine chips for kindling to get the bonfire going, 3) making candles by digging a hole in the ground and pouring hot wax in the hole and putting a wick in it.  When the wax hardened, we dug them up and brushed off the loose soil and 4) (this is my strongest memory) telling my leader that I liked her perfume and she said she wasn't wearing any.  Turned out to be her insect repellant!  LOL!  Oh well, she still smelled nice and was just great with us kids.  She made it fun.  I have nothing from those days except memories and a little knowledge.  Thank you for the memories!  Sheila

Anonymous said...

I was in the brownies, never made it to the Girl Scouts..was kicked out of the brownies for accidently hitting the leader in the face with a snowball and after she screamed at me, I asked her if she practiced what she preached, I had no idea what that meant but I thought it sounded like a good question to me and next thing I knew, my Mother was called to come get me and I was booted out of the Brownies.....lol I'm sure some will read this and it will not come as too much of a shock to them! lolololo.......Kimberleigh

Anonymous said...

I was never a boy scout, but wanted to thank you for helping me with my cutting and pasting. You have made the bluebirds proud with your charitable ways!MUSINGS/

Anonymous said...

I was never a girl scout..However, I was a "Brownie". When I was in the 2nd grade (so i must have been about 7) my Mom signed me up to be a Brownie.
We would meet once a week, and make crafts, and sing songs and do other stuff.
~Nikki~

Anonymous said...

Yep, I was in girl scouts. If you want to find out more, read the entry.... http://journals.aol.com/hopelessblondie/Results/entries/334.
Vickey

Anonymous said...

Done:

Anonymous said...

I tried the Girl Scouts, but it was more like a national organized attempt to groom a whole generation of young girls into Stepford Wives, so I dropped out.  I ended up forming an Explorer Post (co-ed division of the Boy Scouts) that focused on Native American culture, as well as a Sea Scout Post that was stationed aboard the Falls of Clyde in Honolulu.  My parents were training coordinators for Aloha Council BSA, so I did a lot of volunteer work for them, and even served as a back-up drummer for the Order of the Arrow dance team.  It was my involvement with the OA that I became involved in the local Native American club in Hawaii... which was where I met my future husband.

Anonymous said...

In the UK we have the Brownies and then the Girl Guides.  I joined the Brownies at 6 and stayed with them until I was 11.  In the Brownies we had to pass a test by reciting the Brownie Promise, we had to recite:

I PROMISE TO DO MY BEST
TO DO MY DUTY TO GOD AND THE QUEEN
TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE EVERY DAY
ESPECIALLY THOSE AT HOME.

I have never forgotten this !  I was then in a group called a SIX. My SIX was called the Piskies.  We used to work towards gaining badges and doing things for charity.  I enjoyed those days very much and they hold only fond memories for me.  Sandra x

Anonymous said...

No, I was never a girl scout.  It just didn't work with our family issues at the time.  But, I really envied the little girls wearing their brownie uniforms to school.  But, I don't recall many of them continuing into Girl Scouts.  My sons were in the Boy Scouts for a while, but when they started to complain about going to the meetings, they dropped out.  And I wasn't going to force them to go.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Yep...I was...

http://journals.aol.com/bubblesy2k/BubblesWorld/entries/1085

:o) Bubbles

Anonymous said...

For a little while...
http://journals.aol.com/neemom1977/MyJournalJar/entries/1147

Anonymous said...

Still trying to catch up!
http://journals.aol.com/baabyblueyes/raggedyanninabarbiedollworld/entries/956

Anonymous said...

I was a Brownie/Girl Scout. I really enjoyed it, especially all those cookies! ;)       I earned a lot of merit badges, mostly because my mom helped out with our troop. I actually wore my mom's old Brownie uniform that she wore back in the '50s!

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/LorisJournalJar/entries/201

Anonymous said...

No, for some reason it was as big at our school as it was others.  I had many good friends that did it at their schools but my school just didn't promote the scouts in any way.

Anonymous said...

Here you go.
~~@Jade@~~
http://journals.aol.com/angelicregan75/APennyForYourThoughts/entries/127

Anonymous said...

Yes - I was a brownie and then a girl scout -
Melissa
http://journals.aol.com/beachmelissa3/ABEACHGIRLSDREAMS/

Anonymous said...

Here it is:
http://journals.aol.com/missboogerhead/MissOsSoapbox/entries/598

Anonymous said...

:)

http://journals.aol.com/quartrlyfecrysis/andthensome/entries/240

xoxo~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the memories!  Here's mine! GBU, Shelly
http://journals.aol.com/xxroxymamaxx/XXRoxyMamaXX/entries/1073

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/devilletteinme/the-devilettes-journal-jar/entries/2006/11/17/girl-scouts/528